Thursday, June 27, 2013

How we tackled our first spoonfuls

Hey
We started weaning just before 6 months, and it was quite daunting. It's hard finding a starting point but once you have started your confidence grows and grows and you end up feeding all sorts of great flavours and textures. I know a few people who have done baby led weaning and some purée babies, I personally didn't know about either really until we had started and I just did my own thing really, it seems to have worked Ruby is now on three meals a day and snacks and the right weight. 

I used the cow and gate 5 step weaning plan to get me started I loved using it and it is a nice record of what and when Ruby ate, but I added in lumpy and mashed versions of their recipes mainly as my tomme tippee blender has 2 settings and Ruby managed mashed from nice and early, I think it is a good idea to try lumps or mashed quite early as you can get stuck on purée and have a baby who gags on lumps, but they get over this stage so it's completely up to you. (It makes it easier for you less prep work :-)) 

 



I liked starting on fruits as Ruby loves anything fruity, as soon as I first offered food, Ruby had a beaker with water at each meal, she is now great with a beaker. We picked the tomme tippee first sips cup, which is great, even better we won ours on Facebook, we have a couple now and we always have one with us. We encouraged Ruby with Heinz juice but now she has water mainly and juice ever now and then when it is on offer :-) 


I used Hipp jars for some of Ruby's first meals, but I made a lot myself from the cow and gate recipes, I never put milk in the mixes, and Ruby took to them fine she has never been fussy, apart from sweet potato which she loved until she and Gary were poorly after eating it, I guess a night of sicking up and watching your daddy sick up sweet potato would probably put you off it too.   
A tip on sweet potato rather than steaming them, I popped them in the oven like a jacket potato then just scrapped out the cooked center, slightly different texture, less washing up and you can bang it in with your tea to cook. 

I will pop up a post with some of the first things we introduced to Rubes at some point. 

I struggle sometimes with ideas for tasty meals for Ruby so will also share some of our favourites, at the moment I trying to get her on the same tea time meal as us in one form or another, this is her favourite so far and very easy :-) even if like us your not too fussed about fish yourself.


This was a real lazy tea, but still healthy, tasty and intresting for Ruby, the peas are just frozen peas blended with a little cheesy mash, to make it moist, the mash is just that mash potato with grated cheese stirred in so it melted and the fish is dead simple, I used a boil in the bag Birds Eye cod fillet (or loin not sure) which comes in a parsley sauce. Its simple easy and went down very well. 

We love this portioned dish we have two, they are the Tesco loves baby ones, probably a couple of quid defiantly the best dish I have seen and great for meals like this to get the quanities similar each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment